ViSalus Vi-Pak Patented Total Health System
Based on 25 years of scientific study, including NIH (National Institute of Health) funded research, the Vi-pak® was created by Dr. Seidman to provide the ultimate health protection.
In today’s “insta-society” of fast food and hectic lifestyles, our bodies are paying the price. From processed foods to lack of sleep and high stress, we are fast forwarding the already short amount of time we have on this planet.
The Vi-pak® uses four unique supplements to provide our bodies with the nutrients needed to operate at peak levels. Combining a Multi Mineral & Vitamin Formula and Supercharged Antioxidant with a patented Anti-Aging & Energy Complex and Omega Vitals Formulation, the Vi-pak® is an unprecedented system for ultimate health and nutrition. Neatly divided into daily packets, you can not only protect your health with the traditional 1-month supply, but help others feel the benefits with a 3-day sample pack.
If you want the most robust blend of ingredients to fuel your body deep in the cells, this is the product for you.
Benefits of the Vi-pak®:
Designed to help:
- Your body’s natural energy production, endurance and performance
- Support overall immune system function
- Stress and tension
- Support healthy range of motion
- Support your body’s recovery process
ViSalus Vi-pak® FAQ
Benefit & How to Use Questions:
1.Why should I take ViSalus Vi-pak® supplements? Can’t I just eat a healthy diet and get
It is very difficult to get the amounts of nutrition needed from diet alone. For example, to obtain enough vitamin E from food to maintain a healthy heart, you’d need to consume 9 tablespoons of olive oil, 75 slices of whole wheat bread, 40 almonds, or 200 peanuts each day. Additionally, food sources can vary from season to season, crop to crop and may not provide ‘standardized’ or consistent nutritional quality. And in the case of Omega oils, most people do not eat fresh, oily fish like mackerel or salmon 3 -5 times per week, so they are not getting heart health, eye, hair, skin or more benefits. And, many fishes are not raised or farmed in clean waters. So we recommend supplementation for optimal health.
2. What are the mitochondria and how does this formula work?
The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cells that produce more than 98% of the body’s energy needs. Many scientists have discovered that one of the reasons we age is because of the damage that happens to these structures. The mitochondria convert glucose (cell food) into cellular energy called ATP. The cells take in food, use it for energy, and eliminate waste. If the cells are low on energy, they cannot do this process efficiently and so over time, the cell becomes damaged. So as we age, we may feel tired as well as having tired cells that are not getting and using nutrition, or disposing of waste very efficiently. This process (known as the Kreb Cycle) helps convert glucose into ATP. So the science (and patent) behind our Anti-Age & Energy formula in the Vi-pak® was shown to
impact this process and help the cells repair and use nutrition at this cellular level.
3. Why do I need to take the Vi-pak® twice per day? What if I forget to take one of the packets (AM or PM)? Do I double up the next day?
The Vi-pak® was designed for optimal nutrient absorption, which means taking the products twice per day. For example, if you were to try to consume your daily amount of calcium your body would not be able to absorb it all at once. So for many nutrients, your body needs them throughout the day. If you forget to take the Vi-pak®, there is no harm in taking two doses the next day, or simply save that packet for the future.
4. Can pregnant or lactating women take the Vi-pak®?
We encourage anyone who is pregnant or lactating to speak with their physician prior to taking any supplement. During pregnancy there is no doubt that the Multi-Vitamin & Mineral tablet and our Omega’s are helpful, though there is some evidence that we need to be careful with the amount of essential oils we ingest while pregnant or nursing. Thus, again, it is still best to discuss with your physician. The Antioxidant and Anti-Aging & Energy Formula are likely safe, but we tend to not recommend them.
5. What age can take the Vi-pak®?
Technically, once you are over the age of four, you transition into the adult recommended dietary allowances. However, we recommend parents talk to their pediatrician prior to giving a child the Vi-pak®. Generally speaking, if the child weighs more than 75 pounds and is in good health, there should be no concerns. We advise not taking the anti-age energy pill before 18, though there are many athletic young adults 14-18 years of age that have used the entire product safely and successfully.
6. Can athletes take the Vi-pak®?
Absolutely. Dr. Seidman consults with professional and everyday athletes in his practice. He recommends the Vi-pak® and uses it with members of the NHL (National Hockey League), NFL (National Football league), NBA (National Basketball league), Olympic athletes and more.
Comparisons to other brands of vitamins questions:
1. How does the Vi-pak® compare to other brands on the market? I have a customer that uses other MLM /store brands.
ViSalus Sciences Vi-PAK Competitor Comparison
There are many brands available, and we do not have the resources to compare and contrast every brand. We simply ask you to consider and compare.
1.The Vi-pak® has a patent proven to work at the mitochondrial level to protect and enhance the body’s anti–age protection.
2. We offer more absorbable (and more expensive to make) minerals through using chelated nutrients. Chelation is a process where the ingredient is ‘tagged’ to an amino acid. This makes it among the most absorbable nutrition you can get. Other tablets that do not chelate their products (and most don’t) are simply less absorbed by up to 60%. Examples of chelated minerals include calcium glycinate (vs. carbonate), zinc monomethionate (vs. oxide)
3. Our formula is sourced from the finest botanical farms from around the world, using more than 95% all-natural ingredients.
4. The levels, sources and types of nutrients found in the Vi-pak® have all been validated by hundreds of clinical and bench science papers to bring to you the most comprehensive nutritional supplements available, all designed to provide the body with the nutrients it requires
5. We offer molecularly distilled fish oils combined with added oils for additional omega benefits.
6. We offer a unique and proprietary blend of 26 antioxidants that even includes the equivalent of more than 30 glasses of red wine extract which has been demonstrated to have incredible health benefits including the ever important caloric restriction mimetic effect (it has been shown that calorie restriction, i.e. reducing your dietary intake increases lifespan, red wine extracts appear to have a similar positive effect)
7. Our ORAC test via Brunswick Laboratories indicates we have high ORAC levels.
8. Our products are manufactured in GMP standard facilities.
If your brand does not meet or surpass these key points, you should be on the ViSalus Vi-pak®
2. Why are there not different Vi-pak®’s for men and women?
Generally speaking, the RDA (Recommended Dietary Intake) is similar for men and women, and differs depending on if the woman is pregnant/lactating, post-menopausal, etc. The Vi-pak® will be beneficial to both men and women, Olympic or professional athletes. The primary difference for men and women tends to be 1200-1500 mg of absorbable calcium. Technically, one would need to also consider age, height, weight, diet, smoking and alcohol use, exercise, medical problems, blood type and family history to truly be customizable. We designed the Vi-pak® to meet the nutritional needs of most people, or what we consider 99% of all people for wellness. Thus, we do encourage women to take an additional 1000 mg of calcium per day; be sure it is chelated, i.e. Calcium citrate, gluconate or glycinate, many of these products come with additional vitamin D and it is okay to use the Vi-pak® even if taking additional calcium and Vitamin D.
3. Is the Vi-pak® Kosher?
If a product is ‘registered’ as Kosher, it means a Rabbi has to be present during manufacturing to bless the ingredients and the method in which they are made. The Vi-pak® does use kosher gelatin in the Omega capsule. We do use kosher ingredients, but have not made the next step in having each formula, ingredient, and manufacturing process certified.
4. Would liquids be better absorbed than the Vi-pak®?
Our products have been proven to break down into the body quickly, and are available within less than an hour (except for those people that have had gastric bypass surgery). Some liquid minerals (like colloidals) may be better absorbed, but are worrisome for more than short term nutritional healing programs. And, not all foods are better taken as a liquid for absorption (i.e. it’s often better to eat a whole fruit than just the juice alone). Our formula includes chelated vitamins and minerals to be better absorbed, and far surpass (by more than 10X) the absorption rates (often 2-5%) of competitors brands.
5. How does the Vi-pak® compare to the cleansing programs/products on the market?
There are no direct ingredients in the Vi-pak® that act as a colon or liver cleanser per se. The idea of cleansing has always been an interesting premise. The majority of the cleansing compounds essentially empty your intestines. This is the basis of the preparations used prior to colonoscopy. The science does not suggest a real benefit.
1. Why is there no iron in the Vi-pak®?
The Vi-pak® was designed to exceed the best supplements available on the market place. It provides so many important nutrients lacking in most excellent supplements currently in the market. However, there is no doubt that iron is intentionally left out. It is a strong oxidant (we want to provide powerful ANTIOXIDANT activity). People, women included, who eat a relatively healthy diet will have more than enough iron in their diet. However, if the woman is of menstruating age, and has anemia then she would need extra iron. Nonetheless, most menstruating women DO NOT require extra iron. (She would have to have a simple blood test to determine whether or not she needs extra iron).
2. Are the ingredients natural, organic?
The overwhelming majority of the ingredients are from natural sources, including botanicals. However, there are some ingredients such as Acetyl-l-carnitine in the anti-age formula that in order to get from a food source you would need to consume 3-4 steaks, or about 20 pounds of broccoli each day. Since that is not practical, we did include this powerful and necessary ingredient.
3.Can you tell us the source of the ingredients? A competitor brand keeps saying that they are from natural food sources.
Other than the acetyl-l-carnitine (question above this one), our products are indeed from natural sources. We are aware that some competitors claim they are derived from fruit & vegetable powders. However, they are also ‘fortified’ with vitamins and minerals. So it is hard to compare vs. all brands, and consumers should be aware of clever marketing. Our product has scientifically formulated ingredients based on Dr. Seidman’s 25 years of funding from federal sources including the NIH and other institutions The minerals are chelated to be absorbed, and provide superior nutrition derived from natural, botanical ingredients including food sources.
4.What is the ratio of your Omega oils? Are they healthy?
Most people don’t eat salmon or mackerel (fishes high in omega oils) 3 times per week. So for those who don’t eat these types of fish, we recommend the Omega in our Vi-pak®. Double distilled oils, minimizing toxins that may be in competitor oils. Ours are the ideal supplementation of EFA’s in the diet is a ratio of 3:1of Omega 3’s to 6’s. The typical American Diet has EFA’s in a ratio of 1:20 Omega 3’s to 6’s. Most companies that make an essential oils formula provide a 3:1 ratio of Omega 3 to 6’s, our ratio is 12:1 more than 4 times the amount of Omega 3’s.
5. How does this Omega compare to Krill Oil?
Krill oil is no doubt very good for you. Our Vi-pak® ORAC value (combined) is still superior. We also enhance our essential oils with phosphatidylcholine, and phosphatidlyserine, and much more. In terms of purity, our oils are double distilled at the molecular level. Our oils have 834mg of fish oil equating to 100mg of DHA and 150mg of EPA. We also have Evening Primrose Oil supplying 22.5mg of gamma linolenic acid and 192.5 mg of linoleic acid; the Flaxseed provides all organic 125 mg of alpha linolenic acid, so many benefits.
6. What is magnesium stearate and why is it in the Vi-pak®? I’ve heard rumors about this
ingredient, and titanium dioxide.
Magnesium stearate is a GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) and is used around the world. It contains two molecules: one is magnesium which is a vital nutrient in the body, and the other is stearic acid which is fat made from soy, corn, or olive oil. If you eat a normal diet you get 100 times the amount of these ingredients. The ingredient is used to manufacture the tablets, to help prevent them from sticking in the machines. In one tablet you get only 5mg or less, about the size of a grain of sand. There is no evidence this compound from the earth isof any danger. Titanium dioxide is a natural product, is from natural sources, is food safe, and has a food rating and not believed to have any negative effects. Some people confuse the name of the ingredient, and try to whip up
confusion for no real purpose.
7. What type of calcium is in the Vi-pak®? Why is there not more?
The calcium is from calcium glycinate (a chelated calcium to enhance absorption). Calcium is important for women, and we do recommend them to take additional calcium if they are not getting it from their diet. We did not include because we would have had to add many more tablets, and it is something that people can get from a healthy diet, including from our ViSalus Vi-Shape nutritional shake mix.
8. Why use gelatin? Instead use Vegetarian gelatin for the capsules?
Vegetable caps fall apart quickly, and are not compatible to the shelf life and did not do as good a job maintaining the quality of the product.
9. Does the Vi-pak® have glutens?
The Vi-pak® is gluten free.
10. Is Glutathione not better absorbed as a liquid?
In general it is well known that l-glutathione alone is poorly absorbed. Part of our patent has shown that glutathione levels were significantly increased. Thus there appears to be a synergy with our four products. Furthermore, if you are taking the antioxidant in the Vi-pak®, then you are getting n-acetyl cysteine which is well
absorbed and is promptly converted to glutathione.
11. Has the Vi-pak® spurred any allergic reactions?
We have not heard of any to date. In the U.S. about 1.5% of Americans have true food allergies. Food allergy patterns in adults differ somewhat from those in children. The most common foods to cause allergies in adults are shrimp, lobster, crab, and other shellfish; peanuts (one of the chief foods responsible for severe anaphylaxis); walnuts and other tree nuts; fish; and eggs. We do have trace amounts of soy oil in the Vi-pak®, but do not include eggs, nuts, etc. If you have any known allergies, we recommend you speak with your physician, and have them look at the ingredient list with you to determine if you are able to take the product.
12. What if I am worried about Vitamin A?
The Vi-pak® does not contain the worrisome form of Vitamin A. It uses the natural analog which is Beta Carotene, and technically there are no known toxic doses.
1. I am allergic to Niacin. Can I take the Vi-pak®?
It is rare that someone would be allergic to Niacin. However, many people experience a Niacin ‘flush’, which is fairly normal. It may cause a mild tingling, and flushing. If they have concerns, they should speak to their physician prior to using the Vi-pak®.
2. What about blood thinners, or other cardiovascular medications? Can someone use the Vi-pak®?
Anyone on a blood thinner should speak with their physician prior to taking the Vi-pak®, or any nutritional supplement.
3. Can I use Vi-pak® if I have a pacemaker?
There is no known contraindication for Vi-pak® and pacemakers. Anyone with serious cardiovascular diseases should consult a physician before taking any nutritional supplement.
4. Can I use the Vi-pak® if I have high blood pressure, or take blood pressure medications?
Most people will notice no change in their blood pressure readings.
5. Can I use the Vi-pak® if I am on cholesterol lowering medications?
The Vi-pak® will support the chemistry in the body to favor ‘healthier’ blood. In a nutshell, yes you can take the Vi-pak® while on cholesterol medications.
6. I am scheduled to have surgery, should I stop taking the Vi-pak®?
Yes, do not take the Vi-pak® within 7-10 days of surgery. Ginkgo Biloba (in the Vi-pak®) can thin the blood and some of the ingredients in the essential oils formula can also have a blood thinning effect. Usually you can re-start the supplements within 72 hours after the surgery. Please discuss with your physician.
7. Can diabetics take the Vi-pak®?
There would be no contraindication or negative for those with type 1 or type 2 Diabetes to use the product. Many of the ingredients such as alpha lipoic acid and the chromium picolinate are beneficial.
8. My urine appears to be darker on the Vi-pak®. Why is that?
Yes. This is great to hear, and it is normal, as it means your body is absorbing the B-Vitamins, and excreting the rest.
Science & Proof questions:
1.Who is Dr. Seidman, and what is his background?
Michael D. Seidman, MD attained both his B.S. in Human Nutrition and M.D. from the University of Michigan. After a five-year residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery he completed a fellowship in Otologic/Neurotologic and Skull Base Surgery at the Ear Research Foundation in Florida. Dr. Seidman is the Director-Division of Otologic;/ Neurotologic Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Director of Otolaryngology Research Laboratory, the Co-Director of the Tinnitus Center, and the Chair of the Center for Integrative Medicine and a past President of the Michigan Otolaryngology Society. He is Co-Editor for the International Tinnitus Journal, the Associate Editor for the Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Journal, and is on the Editorial Review Board for seven major Otolaryngology Journals and the American Journal of Chinese Medicine. Additionally, he has been appointed to the State Medical Board of Audiology, the Scientific or Advisory Board of the Self Help for Hard of Hearing People Inc., the Life Extension Foundation, IntraEar, the Ear Research Foundation, Arches Company, Auris Medical, the American Tinnitus Association, Gel Tech, BASF, and WebMD. He also serves as a consultant for many professional athletes, and is an advisor for several teams in the NHL, NFL, and the ABA.
Dr. Seidman is an active scientist and has had funding from the National Institutes of Health for over 20 years, and other major institutions. He is considered by his peers as an expert on the molecular basis of aging, noise induced hearing loss, otologic/neurotologic-skull base surgery, all aspects of ear, nose, throat, head and neck surgery, tinnitus, herbal therapies, nutrition/antioxidants and their relationship to health, sports and aging. Dr. Seidman lectures around the world on such topics; has more than 90 major publications, numerous awards, the recipient of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Clinical Practitioner Excellence Award (given to one Otolaryngologist each year) and has received two patents, one on a supplement that positively effects age-related hearing loss and a second one that is able to determine an individuals “molecular age”. Additionally, he has multiple patents pending on aging, mitochondrial function endurance enhancement, and
surgical tools and techniques. He has long been interested in supplementation and began developing novel combinations of supplements in 1981.
2.Can you prove that there was NIH (National Institutes of Health) funding? I did not see him listed
on the NIH.
Here is a list of grants that have been funded over the past 16 years:
The P 1. rotective Effects of Allopurinol and Superoxide-Dismutase on Cochlear Ischemia.
Funded October 1, 1989 September 1, 1990. HFH Grant #A30415.
2. Upjohn Company: Provided U74006F (21 aminosteroid – lazaroid) / For experiments in Cochlear Ischemia and
Noise Induced Hearing Loss.
3. The American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. Resident Training Grant,
June 1, 1990 – July 30, 1990.
4. The Protective Effect of U74006F on Cochlear Ischemia. Funded October 1, 1990 – June 30, 1991.
5. Machida, Inc., Awarded the use of two investigational flexible scopes,1991.
6. Flexible Fiberoptic Middle Ear Otoscopy. A Cadaver and Live Human Study. (Approved from HFH), 1991.
7. Permanent Threshold Shifts Secondary to Noise Trauma and Variations in Mitochondrial DNA Deletions.
(January 1, 1993-December 31, 1996).
8. National Institute of Deafness and Communicative Disorders. Vascular, Free Radical and DNA Changes in Aged
Cochlea’s, June 1, 1994 – June 30, 1999.
9. Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. Antioxidant and Free Radical Studies.
10. Pharmacia and UpJohn Corporation. Antioxidant and Free Radical Studies.
11. Their Effects on Age-Related Hearing Loss, Henry Ford
12. Mitochondrial Metabolites and Mitochondrial Function Using Flow Cytometry.
13. Noise Induced Hearing Loss, Presbyacusis, and DNA Changes 1996 – 2001.
14. The effects of phosphatadylcholine on aging, mitochondrial function and hearing. Nutritional
Therapeutics. 1998 –2000.
15. The effects of Leupeptin, a caspase inhibitor on cochlear blood flow and hearing. (Seidman). Martha
Entenmann Tinnitus Center. 1999 – 2000
16. Antioxidants and sound conditioning prevention of NIHL. 1999-2000. National Institute of Occupational
Safety and Health. (Quirk and Seidman)
17. The effects of grape seed extract on age related hearing loss and aging. California Table Grape
Association. 2001 – 2002.
18. The effects of resveratrol of age-related hearing loss and DNA damage. NCCAM. July 2003- 2006.
19. The effects of cortical electrical stimulation for tinnitus 2005-2009 Medtronic Inc
3. What information can you share on the 2 patents and the Vi-pak®?
There are several patents and copyrights:
1. “Therapeutic Treatment for Mitochondrial Function”, U.S. serial # 08/931,124. Patent # 5,977,162.
2. “Method of Determining Biological Molecular Age”. U.S. serial #10/271,469. Patent #6,933,120.
3. “Dietary Supplemental to Inhibit Cellular Aging”. Serial 10/715,148. Patent Pending.
4. “Middle Ear Bone Reconstruction Process and Devices”. Serial 60/598,191. Patent Pending.
5. “Treatment Methods and Devices for the Treatment of Tinnitus”. Patent Pending.